This year I decided to hand out some unique holiday homemade gifts. If you know anything about me – you know baking isn’t my thing. Too much measuring and having to be exact for my style. I like throwing stuff in a skillet with no precise thoughts involved. But my love of dogs convinced me to bake these awesome Giada inspired dog treats for all my friends pups.
For the humans I made a ginger simple syrup that pairs well with so many drinks! I bottled the syrup in fun mason jars and added a label and bow.
I’ve been using the syrup almost nightly since I made it. Here’s a few favorite ways to enjoy it:
- Ginger Old Fashion – One part syrup to two parts bourbon – serve over ice.
- Moscow Mule – One part syrup to two parts vodka, splash of soda water, squeeze of lime
- Ginger Soda – One part syrup to three parts Sprite
- Ginger Lemonade – Add syrup to fresh squeezed lemon juice diluted with a little water
- Peel fresh ginger and slice into about half inch pieces
- Bring equal parts of white sugar and water to boil (I did 10 cups of each)
- Stir to dissolve sugar, bring to simmer and add ginger to the pot
- Simmer for 20 min, turn off heat and allow mixture to cool
- Strain out ginger pieces and transfer to storage containers