I’ve always told my Dad he should start a restaurant where people bring in their leftovers and he turns them into an amazing meal. He could literally take anything left in the fridge and turn it into a breakfast of champions. I think the trick to leftovers is to transform them so they are totally different than their original form. Otherwise I have a hard time repeating a meal several times.
My leftover Carnitas meat has been a perfect addition to meals through out the past week. Here are a few examples:
- added the pork into egg scramble with veggies and cheese
- pork pizza with mushrooms and pesto
- potato smash with zucchini, squash and pork with chipotle sauce
A few other leftover tricks:
- pack leftover items separately (ex. pasta and sauce can be used in two different ways- use the pasta in an egg frittata and the sauce over grilled chicken)
- even if you are cooking for 2 people- double the recipe so you have leftovers, it will help you eat great breakfasts and lunches through out the week
- while prepping a meal like a casserole if you have to cook meat double the meat needed and place half in another container for later in the week, throw the meat on salads, etc.
- leftover veggies can be roasted and blended to create salsa and sauces
- leftover bread can be toasted for croutons or blended for homemade breadcrumbs
Don’t be afraid to explore the leftovers in fridge- being creative is always better than just reheating last nights meal!