When you can’t find a recipe for something that you love, just make up your own! Tonight in search of a fun egg salad recipe I was lost in sea of basic recipes with standard ingredients. Don’t get me wrong, I love a classic egg salad but tonight called for something new.
Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs. In a quest to perfect the hard boiled egg I texted a few friends for their advice on how to hard boil eggs. Seems simple enough right? Not one person I talked to had the same method. After a little online research I developed a game plan and was super pleased with the result. Here’s how I boiled em up:
- Add eggs to a pot (no more than a single layer)
- Add enough water to cover the eggs and bit more
- Turn the burner on and allow the water to come to a boil
- Allow the eggs to boil for 1 minute
- Turn off heat, cover pot and move from the warm burner – let sit for 12 minutes
- Remove eggs from water and chill in ice bath
- Peel and enjoy!
Homemade Mayo. Everyone knows a classic egg salad requires high quality mayo. Of course we are fresh of out of mayo, after surveying a few alternatives like greek yogurt and sour cream I decided I wanted to stick to mayo and made my own. I’ll have a hard time ever buying mayo again after trying the homemade version.
- Add 2 eggs, 1/8 tsp salt, 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, and juice of half a lemon to a blender and mix
- Slowly pour about 2 cups vegetable oil in while the blender is running and mix for a few minutes
- Don’t stop there think of the fun versions you could make by adding roasted garlic, chive, cilantro, etc.
Without further ado – here’s the ingredients for my crispy kale and bacon egg salad.
- 10-12 hard boiled eggs
- 8 pieces of chopped, crispy bacon
- 6 leaves of crispy kale (chopped and fried in the bacon fat after bacon as been removed)
- 1/4 cup chopped pickles
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup green onions
- About 2 tablespoons of mayo (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of yellow mustard
- Salt, pepper to taste